Why Multitasking is Bad For Your Health and Business?
Are you guilty of juggling all your work in one instance just to minimize work time? Do you enjoy doing several things at once to speed up the process? If so, multitasking is probably one of your strong suit. But, is multitasking really a gift or a curse? Why multitasking is bad?
A lot of use believe that multitasking is great; it helps us get more work done in such a short time. It is also a general norm, that’s why it’s hard for us to remove it from our daily lives. We regularly multitask! From brushing our teeth while taking a shower to reading a book while we’re eating. Why do we do this? Because it’s already in our culture. We were brought up with the idea that multitasking is a great way to accomplish things. But, we were never taught about the disadvantages of multitasking.
A few years ago i was an absolute beast at multitasking. I would do 4-5 things simultaneously with maximum effort to achieve great results. But, at the end of the day. It always took a toll on my body. There were even times that i got sick because of doing so much work. But, that wasn’t the only reason why I decided to stop multitasking. Along with my personal experience, research also shows multiple reasons why multitasking is actually bad for your health and ultimately your life.
1. The quality of work always suffer
When you’re too busy with so many things you forget to pay attention to details. And that is crucial in everything you do. For example: Cooking a cake is easy, but cooking a cake while doing 3 other things could lead to a disaster. You could mess up the ingredients, you could forget about the proper cooking process and ultimately destroy the cake. The thing is, you will always end up on the wrong end if you continue to do everything at the same time. Here are the reasons why multitasking is bad for your Health and Business.
2. Your focus will be limited
What happens when you divide your focus to several things at once? It ends up being insufficient. For one thing to be completely successful it need our undivided attention and focus. You can’t expect to build a big time international business when currently your attention is divided in multiple small time businesses. If you want to build an empire, then you have to quit multitasking and apply the power of focus!
3. Reduced productivity
Yes, you heard it right. As ironic as it sounds, multitasking does restrict us from producing more results. How? Well, the human brain can’t simply juggle several things at once. So, by attempting to multitask, we’re simply hurting our brain and blocking it’s capacity to work. Thus, reducing our productivity. My advice would be to just focus on one task, and give you 120% effort in accomplishing it.
But, how can I maximize my productivity without multitasking?
The answer is simple. Preparation! Here are my 3 tips for you to increase your productivity and achieve amazing results without having to multitask:
How to maximize your productivity minus multitasking
Tip # 1: Set your work on a 90-minute interval
- There are tons of research out there that supports the idea of a 90-minute work interval. It is the optimum amount of time a person can work where he/she can be highly productive. Exceeding these time frame will not only decrease your productivity, it will also result in physiological fatigue.
Tip # 2: Plan your day Here are the reasons why multitasking is bad for your Health and Business.
- This is probably a general knowledge. Most successful people already have their day planned out even before they wake up, they know what to do and when to do it. This way, they maintained their stress levels and are more likely to produce positive results than those who don’t bother to organize their activities. So, get a planner and plan for tomorrow! Here are the reasons why multitasking is bad for your Health and Business.
Tip # 3: Take regular breaks
- You don’t have to push yourself too hard in order to achieve amazing results. In fact, pushing yourself beyond your limits will actually give you an opposite result. It’s ideal to take a break, relax you mind and your body. That way you can focus more on the given task.Here are the reasons why multitasking is bad for your Health and Business.
Tip # 4: Don’t be afraid to ask for help
- You can’t do everything on your own. So, ask for assistance. Not only does it ease your work, it also increases your productivity and raises the chance of a better outcome. Just choose the right helper, otherwise it could bring more harm than good.
Tip # 5: Sleep early to get up early
- Starting your day in the morning will surely help your productivity. More time, more energy and of course more focus. We are more engaged and motivated in the morning because there are less distractions in the surroundings. Thus, making us more focused on getting things done. Here are the reasons why multitasking is bad for your Health and Business.
Final words: Here are the reasons why multitasking is bad for your Health and Business.
You don’t need to multitask in order to get things done. Its better to do one thing at a time but with great focus. That way you can produce maximum effort and quality results. Besides, multitasking is bad for our brain. You’ll just be punishing yourself by doing several things simultaneously.